Progress Station. Prydz Bay

Progress Station. Prydz Bay Progress Station. Prydz Bay

Prydz Bay in the Sea of Sodruzhestva is a deep embayment of Antarctica between the Lars Christensen Coast and the Ingrid Christensen Coast. Portions of the bay were sighted in January and February 1931 by Norwegian whalers and the British Australian New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition (BANZARE). It was explored in February 1935 by Norwegian whaler Captain Klarius Mikkelsen, and was mapped in considerable detail from aerial photographs taken by the Lars Christensen Expedition of 1936-37. The bay was named in honor of Olaf Prydz, general manager of the expedition.

Several glaciers flow into Prydz Bay, including the Amery Ice Shelf (its width reaching 64 km, and length 700 km) on the southwest side of Prydz Bay. The ice here flows at about 200 m per year, but velocities of over 1,000 m per year are known at the edge of the ice barrier. According to glaciologists 12% of all fresh water passes through the Amery Ice Shelf. Prydz Bay is traversed by the northwesterly line of equal latitude and longitude.

Since 1957 Davis Station - a permanent base in Antarctica managed by the Australian Antarctic Division - has been operating on the coast of Prydz Bay. In 1971 a seasonal expedition base, “Sodruzhestvo”, was founded for comprehensive scientific observations in this area.
The Russian Progress research station was opened by the 33rd Soviet Antarctic Expedition on April 1, 1988 and was moved to another place on February 26, 1989.

In 2000 its work was temporarily halted, but it reopened in 2003. The station is located between the Larsemann Hills and the coast on a stony plateau at an altitude of 15-20 m above sea level.
The dissected coastline forms multiple scenic fiords, and a number of islands near shore rise up to 60 m above the sea surface. Numerous icebergs and bergs calving from the ice shelf contribute to the picturesque environment in the vicinity of the Progress station.
Vegetation is scarce and is represented by some species of mosses and lichens.
Sea birds, Adeli penguins and sometimes Emperor penguins and Weddell seals constitute the animal world in the area.
A landing field is located close to the station for air connection with other stations. From 1998-2001 work was done to transfer transportation operations to Progress from the Mirny Station and make it the main support base for the Vostok station.